Sunday, our church hosted Lessons and Carols, perhaps my favorite service. Through scripture and song, this traditional service chronicles the promised coming and birth of Jesus. Musically, its a big responsibility, but its truly inspiring. Our choir has worked diligently and has grown immensely. Just over three years ago, there were four regular choir members who came to my first practice. Now, look at this group! How I wish I could provide a sound clip for you to listen...
Several of our choir members shared their joyful talents, providing special music with guitar and voices. Our friends from St. Luke's Episcopal Church also came to sing - what a delight. We were thrilled to have so many in the congregation to worship with us. As the line in one of our hymns, "
Hark! A thrilling voice is sounding!" By the way, when we closed with
O Come All Ye Faithful and
Joy To The World, I think the angels were singing along - the sound of the entire church in song was magnificent! It always helps when the hymns a favorite, doesn't it?

So, the origins of Lessons and Carols amuses me. I cannot verify this, but I've been told by more than a few pastors and priests that this service originated in England when a few priests were very challenged with keeping men sober and out of the pubs on Christmas Eve. To protect family happiness and probably church attendance on Christmas morning, this service was designed to be long and thorough, so when chaps were through, they either had too much faith or too little energy to go to the pub. Well, ours was just shy of an hour service, and no one must have been to exhausted because the reception lasted another hour. And to think, we served wine at the reception!
Here's a toast to a beautiful (and completed) Lessons and Carols, and a joy filled Advent and Christmas season!
No comments:
Post a Comment